So, it’s been a couple years since I added any new blog posts to this little site, because I’m lazy and write for a living and generally spend my non-writing hours remarking on how much I love my dog/eating cheese/doing anything except writing words.
But last month we made a magazine, and it really is worth writing about.
Allow me to introduce, A Beautiful Perspective’s HOME Issue.
In September, we relaunched abeautifulperspective.com as a digital magazine, dedicating each month-long issue to a single theme and digging into that topic through a wide array of stories and formats. By focusing on a single theme at a time, we get to wade into the delightful muck of a concept, bypassing the obvious angles for more interesting and sometimes important ideas. (Thanks to all our incredible contributors!) By tapping each theme for a live event, we get to produce Activist Mornings, a new concert and speaker series that kicked off in New York with an incredible show featuring Suhaiymah, Jennifer Mendelsohn, Rotana and M.I.A.
So, what did we cover in the HOME Issue? How about …
- The philosopher king of an (almost) deserted island
- Why Mongolian nomads are moving their yurts to the city
- How an artist is starting conversations about segregation by folding the map of Chicago
- “It’s a communal toilet, which is used by around 150 residents of the slum. But that also makes the experience authentic” at Mumbai’s Slum Hotel
- Fleeing death threats in Honduras to face a fickle U.S. asylum system
- How Ernestine Harris fought the government to save her home—and won
- Why a new generation is moving into modern communes
- The RV activists who say the new American dream might be four wheels and a safe place to park
- “Privately, I vowed to the trees, ‘You are history. I will let nothing happen to you.’ I was only lying to myself.”
- One woman’s journey to accept her heritage—and embrace the United States
And so much more.
Click around, check out whatever speaks to you and stay tuned for our next issue, coming soon! And if you’re a writer/photographer/illustrator/video journalist interested in working with us, shoot me an email at email@example.com.