Seven years out of college, I don’t miss the homework or reading every book my professors published. I do miss browsing course catalogs and imagining myself speaking fluent Italian or scaling cliffs. Which is not to say I’ve given up on my education. Just last week Tovin learned to escape having his wrists duct taped together (demo, anyone?) and is promising to teach me soon, and this Sunday, we’ll both suit up for our second scuba diving class.
What else is on my immediate to-learn list?
1. Ceviche I love ceviche, crave it, all varieties. And somehow, I’ve never learned to make it myself. (Which is ridiculous; it doesn’t even involve cooking.) That ends now! Or as soon as I have time to get some good fish.
2. Hair styling I’m a little embarrassed to even put this one down, but let’s face it: At 29, I should know how to pull off decent waves or even a simple up-do.
3. Standup paddle boarding Sure, watching people make their way around the water fully upright with a single paddle looks a bit boring, but everyone’s been raving about SUP so much, I’m ready to give it a try. Turns out even in the desert I can, at Lake Las Vegas.
4. Back country first aid Just in case the apocalypse is coming.
5. Portuguese Fantasies of reporting on the World Cup and Olympics in Rio de Janeiro led to iPad app downloads and hours repeating vocabulary words into a screen. Half the time I still end up speaking Spanish, so hey, it’s a work in progress.